I’ve always wanted a shirt dress and I recently got it (I’ll write about it soon). I have a thing for retro shirt dress: for me they are really comfortable, simple and elegant, plus they are perfect for almost every occasion, when appropriately accessorized.
The first shirt dress I remember I loved (and still love) is the one Janet Leigh wears in Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock (1960).
I love the lenght, I love the bodice part, the belt, the buttons, the mandarin collar… I actually adore mandarin collars! I was really impressed when I saw Scarlett Johansson in Sacha Gervasi’s Hitchcock (2012), wearing a perfect repro of that dress, in a wonderful “cloudy” colour.
So, given my passion for this kind of dresses, I prepared my own Top 5. I will exclude the one I already own because no spoiler!
5. The Keely Dress from Hell Bunny is perfect for the fourties enthusiasts. I can’t get enough of the soft red. The fabric seems to be very light and fresh and I think it would be great for spring and automn. This dress is available on TopVintage here for £ 59.95. The site stocks also a black version here.
4. The Keira Dress from Voodoo Vixen it’s perfect for… well, it’s actually perfect for me since I’v always wanted a dress with apples on it. I don’t know why but I love it. I also like other cute fruits prints like strawberries or cherries but apples are my favourite. This dress makes me think to a housewife doing jams for her family in summer. Available here, it only has 4 sizes so bigger girls like me won’t probably fit in. It’s on sale at the moment for £ 34.00.
3. The Penelope Diner Dress from Dolly and Dotty is the last one of my list. I really like the fifties vibe it has! The colour is really beautiful but on the website you can find also other colour or even prints. At the moment the dress is being sold with a belt buckle, which I find it more practical and more appropriate. This beauty is available here for £.32.99.
2. The Penny Dress from Lindy Bop. I really love this one because it reminds me of Roman Holiday (1953). I find the cream-burgundy combination fascinating, so classy and simple. You can find this dress here for £ 35.00. Unfortunately the only sizes available are 14 and 20.
1. The Caterina Sherwood Check Swing Dress from Collectif Clothing is the perfect dress: it has tartan, it has pockets and a matching belt. It’s very wintry and perfect for holidays and everyday wear. Available in this navy-green colour and also in navy-red here for £ 76.50.